Saturday, October 27, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Parfaits



The pumpkin escapades continue! And I have so many recipes yet to share featuring this wonderful food. Two kinds of pumpkin cheesecake, fudge, ice cream, pie, and shakes... stay tuned!

Here's a delicious semi-raw, vegan dessert for this time of year. I think they're great for entertaining because they're so pretty (I think any parfait is great for guests) and make a great dessert or special breakfast treat. 


I guess you could call it a deconstructed pumpkin pie. I layered an easy pumpkin pie filling/pudding with chopped pecans as the "crust" and coconut cashew whipped cream. Now how can you go wrong with that?! 


Pumpkin Pie Parfaits

Pumpkin Pudding

I used coconut sugar in this recipe. It's a great low glycemic sweetener and I love the flavor. I think it smells like graham crackers! 

1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 - 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk
1/4 cup coconut sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon melted coconut oil

Blend all but the oil in a blender until smooth and warm. Add the oil and blend again.
Chill in the fridge for a few hours. 


Whipped Cream

Remember the whipped cream I used on my no bake pumpkin pie cream squares? I've used it for this parfait too. It's definitely one of my favorite whipped cream recipes because its ridiculously easy. 

1 cup full fat coconut milk
3/4 cup cashews
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup melted coconut oil

Blend all but the coconut oil until smooth and a high speed blender (important for the cashews to be completely broken down for proper thickening).
Add the oil and blend to incorporate.
Pour into a large shallow pan and chill in the fridge for 12 hours (if you want to speed up the firming, freeze for 1 hour and then put back into the fridge).
Spread or pipe over the chilled pumpkin filling.

Check it out, Michele made my pumpkin chocolate swirl cheesecake! Recipe HERE



I hope you'll try these yummy pumpkin parfaits! Have a great weekend!



22 comments:

  1. Definitely can't go wrong at all with that :) Beautiful, delicious parfaits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So gorgeous!! I'm roasting another squash for dinner myself right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever had roasted pumpkin?! Yummm! Think we'll have to roast one up :D

      Delete
  3. WOw delicious Heather! I managed to restrain my pumpkin creations to one can of pumpkin this year- I end up eating way too many desserts if I don't! This is making me want to go and buy some more though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabby! lol, I understand! I've definitely eaten too many desserts with all this pumpkin goodness going on. I wish there was a vegetable holiday to celebrate!!! ;)

      Delete
  4. I tried these last night - so delicious! I did however, forget the whipped cream in the freezer, and there was no getting the consistency back, but that's okay - it still tasted amazing! Thanks for the awesome recipe. Can't wait to try it again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! hehe I've done that same thing before. Just let it thaw in the fridge for a really long time... but as you now know, eating it semi frozen still tastes great :) Glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  5. Hi there! Great looking recipe. I want to try making it but have a quick question...

    Where do I get the 1 cup of pumpkin puree from? (I'm a beginner)
    Do you blend down the insides of a pumpkin? Or does this come from a can? How do you make yours?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Canned pumpkin or bake a pumpkin yourself until completely soft and puree it in a food processor.

      Delete
  6. LOVE this! I've been meaning to get some coconut milk too.. looks delicious. Pinning it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I'm planning to make some of the whipped cream today (which looks amazing!), but I was wondering how long you can keep it in the fridge? Will it stay soft, or will it eventually become too hard to pipe it on a pie? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marinka,you can keep it a week in the fridge. It will still stay pipable. There's vanilla in the recipe but you can also add fresh vanilla bean if you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I made the whipped cream last weekend and it was amazing. My boyfriend and parents loved it as well! I put it on top of these http://realsustenance.com/flourless-crack-brownies-gluten-allergy-free-with-nut-grain-free-directions/ (they're not raw, but taste great if you enjoy a PB (or any other nut butter) & chocolate combo)

      Delete
    2. That's awesome Marinka, so glad you enjoyed. The brownies look delish!!

      Delete
  10. Where do you find full fat coconut milk? I drink Silk coconut milk but the only full fat version that I can think of comes from a metal can (which I generally thought it was smart to stay away from since the can itself has junk in it). Is that the stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't want to use canned you can make your own using a young thai coconut - blend most of the water with all of the pulp inside (I prefer this too but can only get them when in the city).

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. That all depends on what size you make your parfaits ;)

      Delete
  12. Pumpkin! I can see this for breakfast on the weekend - Oh, wait, it is Wellness Weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete